Monday, March 5, 2012

Brown Paper + Walnut Stain = Mocha Love

Brown Paper + Walnut Stain = Mocha Love

********If you are new to my paper floors, please read this first**********

You’re probably tired of hearing about my basement staircase makeover.

I’m sorry.

This flooring project has been taking over my life. Therefore, as faithful readers, it will take over your lives as well (seriously, thank you for your patience). I want to share with you the upstairs version with Minwax Dark Walnut stain. The only difference from the process used in the basement is that I rubbed the stain onto the paper after the glue dried with a rag before poly-ing. The result is nothing short of stunning.

Even people who are not related to me have loved it!

In case you forgot what it used to look like, here’s the before shot with the carpet (and the old paint).

And now, the fresh and sophisticated after:

Another angle:


brown paper stairs walnut stain

In order to make the risers clean, smooth, and white, I had Mike cut out pieces of 1/8″ hardboard (near the pegboard at HD or Lowes, comes in 2×4 sheets).

I painted them with Glidden Semi-Gloss off the shelf white and attached them to the plywood risers with liquid nails.


I still have to caulk the seams, but for now I’m done. I have to move on to the upstairs floor or I feel I’ll lose motivation to rip up the rest of the carpet! For the full tutorial, click here.


No comments: